According to Manchester United, Mason Greenwood did not commit the charges for which he was charged.
Following a six-month internal inquiry into his behavior, the club announced on Monday afternoon that Greenwood would be leaving by mutual consent.
The 21-year-old was detained in January 2022 as a result of suspicions involving online content.
In February, the assault and attempted rape charges against him were withdrawn.
United, though, claimed they did not think he committed the acts with which he was accused in a statement announcing that he would be leaving the team.
According to the data at hand, the club came to the conclusion that the information published online did not present a complete picture and that Mason did not commit the offenses for which he was initially charged. Having said that, Mason publicly acknowledged his shortcomings today and accepted responsibility for them.
Manchester United emphasized that they collected information “not in the public domain, including from persons with firsthand knowledge of the situation” as part of their inquiry.
Greenwood did not “commit the acts he was charged with,” according to Manchester United CEO Richard Arnold. He stated:
“While we were unable to access certain evidence for reasons we respect, the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with.
“I am restricted as to what I can say for legal reasons, including the alleged victim’s ongoing right to anonymity, but I am able to share the following with you which should give you some insight into the complexity of this case:
RICHIE ARNOLD ON GREENWOOD CASE
Mason Greenwood releases own statement
In his own statement responding to this departure from the club, Mason Greenwood said: “I want to start by saying I understand that people will judge me because of what they have seen and heard on social media, and I know people will think the worst.
“I was brought up to know that violence or abuse in any relationship is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges.
“However, I fully accept I made mistakes in my relationship, and I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post.
“I am learning to understand my responsibilities to set a good example as a professional footballer, and I’m focused on the big responsibility of being a father, as well as a good partner.”
Last week, United confirmed their internal investigation was complete. The club stressed that throughout the process “the welfare and perspective of the alleged victim” had been central to inquiries, but it also had “responsibilities to Mason as an employee.”